Friday, August 22, 2008

Smarty Pants

I know, I know everyone thinks their kid is smart but sometimes Keaton just amazes me. So it started at like 16 months old. We sing songs a lot and I knew he was getting ready for nursery so we were singing nursery songs. He could sing I am a Child of God, Popcorn, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes, Snowman, Sunbeam and a few others like Old MacDonald or Wheels on the Bus. Now to lots of people that may sound normal, but all the times I've been in nursery the little ones never sing, the mostly cry or do nothing at all. Well in the end our nursery doesn't even sing. They just do the tape that has the movements. Good thing Keaton has a good mom to teach him songs. Now at 2 he aslo can sing Pioneer Children, Give Said the Little Stream, I Feel My Savior's Love and I'm Trying to be Like Jesus. If I had a video camera I'd love to share his sweet songs.

Also recently he's gotten so good at puzzles. Again, maybe lots of kids do this but we were at the library in the kids area and he was just doing so well. I was impressed.

For a little while now we've been going to the website www.starfall.com (Mostly Grandpa spends hours on the lap top with him) He loves to go to the ABC page and often will walk into the computer room and say "I want letters". Anyway each letter has a few pictures and activities that he practically has memorized. For example W has a wolf, which makes Keaton howl then it has people walking and as soon as the page turns he says walk. He can also find the letter that doesn't match, although it's always the same. So we've been wondering can he do this out of context or just on this site. So tonight I printed a page of letters in random order. I was so impressed he knew the names of about half the alphabet. We also found out a few he doesn't know at all like J. And sometimes he calls the N a Z, but that's an easy mistake.

My goodness, the kid just turned 2 last week. Today the alphabet...tomorrow the world.

3 comments:

cassie said...

Oh my goodness I can't believe how big Keaton is! He is adorable.

d.jo said...

Hey! I love the starfall website! A teacher I know has her kids reading real books by the time they're 3, and it's because she starts working on things with them like starfall from the time they're 18 months or younger. She also reads 5 books a day to them. I believe Keaton is smart, too!

I started a blog, come check it out. I loved looking at yours (I found it through Lindsay's blog)!
www.mdjborden.blogspot.com

Love,
Debra Jo

Kristin said...

Oh how fun to get updated. I love the name Keaton by the way!! I may have to use it. He totally looks like an Anderson to me but I'm never good at judging those things.